Monday, January 30, 2012

Operation: Going Organic ... Week 2

Almost 11 years ago, to the month, my grandparents deeded over a small tract of land to me. Nothing, I mean nothing, but hunting has taken place on this property and I figured it was the perfect opportunity for me to do something different and hopefully make a living out of it.

I made my decision to start up a small organic farm the other day while plowing one of the new Christmas tree field. For those of you who don't know, you will solve the world's problems and your own (several times over) while driving a tractor. I couldn't shake the idea from my head and I mentioned it to my father. He loved the idea (and was probably secretly glad to see that I am interested in doing this on my own) and I went about doing some research.

I've already ordered some of the seeds for this year's crop and am anxiously awaiting the many trials and tribulations I will encounter with this new venture. I will sell my "naturally grown" produce at local farmers' markets (depending on how much is harvested). I say "naturally grown" because I am not certified organic yet (a timely and costly process).

For those of you who are near the Fayette County area, look for me this spring, summer and fall (and possibly some winter markets too). I'd like to get some product in some of the local restaurants as well... Who knows?! But I am really excited about this new adventure.

Last week, we brought to the family farm an antique John Deere manure spreader my cousin Uncle Bill gave me. It's a wonderful find and will be another fun project for my father and me! It was covered in briars and there were a couple trees about 6" wide growing through parts... but it's a necessity and a great find too!



Keep checking back to see how Homegrown Girl is doing and the farming adventures I will encounter. I'm sure there will be many!

Take care,
Stephanie

On a side note, my father and I were closing in a part of one of the barns on his property for my office (I also work on their farm too) and we saw sandhill cranes already flying north! How CRAZY is that??? My prediction is that winter will happen sometime in March, so we farmers need to be prepared!

1 comment:

  1. :) Steph, I love your comment, "For those of you who don't know, you will solve the world's problems and your own (several times over) while driving a tractor." It is so true & I love your ideas on how to use that land! :) Fresh fruit always tastes better than what you get at the grocery store...unless you have a Harry's nearby but that's a 1 1/2 hour drive for me to Marietta. I wish you the best of luck and I'll keep my two non-green thumbs out of your way. ;) lol! Hug your mom & dad for me, it's been forever since I've seen them OR you!

    <3 Melissa (Davidson) Simpkins

    ReplyDelete